Friday, June 18, 2010

Watching the World Cup?


I watched some of the World Cup last week at ESPN, but I never did blog about it. There was a story in The Bristol Press about ESPN venturing into 3D.
Currently, not many people have 3D -- about 100,000, ESPN folks said -- but they've never been ones to wait to see which way the wind is blowing.
Nope, ESPN creates its own wind and takes the culture along with it. They've got a lot of smart people over there and if they think 3D is the next big thing, well, then, I'm inclined to believe them.
As someone who watches very little television, I'm probably not the best person to evaluate 3D. But there I was, and I agree, it can be eye-popping. I didn't like wearing an extra set of glasses, though, and between the vision thing and the buzzing of the vuvuzelas, I got a headache. If you haven't heard them yet, listening to a World Cup match is like being inside a hornet's nest. AAAAGGGH! Get me out of there!
Chuck Pagano, ESPN's top technology guy, told me he watches with the mute function on. Smart guy, that Chuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment