Monday, January 18, 2010

Applause, applause for high school singers

One nice thing about a blog is that I can inject a little of my own point of view. It's not something I'm used to doing, since outside of the occasional review, I almost always write news stories.
But I am going to have a few things to say now and then.
Something I want to do today is to give a big round of applause to the madrigal singers of both Bristol Eastern and Bristol Central High School for their gorgeous a capella performances Monday.
The kids got up early on their day off school to sing at the NAACP breakfast to honor the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
Getting somewhere at 8 a.m. on a day when school isn't in session is no small feat for a teenager. First of all, they get props just for getting up and to school at the appointed hour.
But if you were there and sitting close enough to hear, you'll know that these kids sounded really great. Their voices blended beautifully and the soloists did their school proud.
It was definitely a highlight of the program.
The NAACP choir had a lot of guts to follow those kids but they did all right, too, helped out by a couple of guitars and some drums.
My only gripe was that no one thought to get a microphone in front of these kids. I was sitting close to where they stood, so I could hear them just fine, but I wonder how frustrated the people in the back had to be because they probably couldn't hear at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment