Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Filmmaker Documents a Bristol Stop on Route 6


While I've always tried to get my kicks on Route 66, Route 6 has some nice views, too.
The coast-to-coast interstate highway is the second longest in the nation. The longest one is Route 20.
I learned all this from Rachel Carey, a filmmaker with plenty of credentials (Yale and NYU for starters) who is making a documentary about Route 6.
Maybe she just wants an excuse to make a cool road trip, but what the heck. She's going to show us all some sights and sounds along the way.
One of them will be the tick, tock, tick, tock at the American Clock and Watch Museum, one of my favorite spots in Bristol. I bet after she finishes her documentary, this charming little clock museum might become more popular than ESPN.
ESPN, incidently, while not exactly camera shy, is not even close to Route 6 and so they lost out on this one. I hope they can cope with defeat. They're really not used to it.
The filmmaker promised to send me the trailer for the movie when she gets that far along in the project. When I get it, I promise to share. She's being supported, at least morally, if not financially, by the non-profit Route 6 Tourist Association. That's their logo at the top of this post. The clock is, of course, on Maple Avenue in front of the museum. It's also on the museum's website, www.clockandwatchmuseum.org.
Carey was filming today in the clock museum, interviewing Don Muller, the executive director, who was definitely looking his best for the camera. If he ever gets tired of the museum, he might consider going on camera for ESPN, since he can lord it over them that he's in the Route 6 documentary and they're not. The Mark Twain House in Hartford (another awesome Connecticut jewel) also made the director's cut.
This might be a good time to suggest that if you haven't ever visited the clock museum, don't wait to be lured by the Route 6 documentary. Go now. Same deal for the Twain house.
I wrote about all this, of course, for The Bristol Press. I think it might be in Wednesday's paper, but I don't really know. The story has more details about the film and the highway, but none of the 'tude here. When they use it, you can see it at www.bristolpress.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment